Calvin’s Chicken Salad is a light, refreshing, and healthy salad that is perfect for any occasion. This delicious recipe gets its name from the Calvin’s Chicken Salad Sandwich Company in Columbia, Maryland.
After picking up the recipe from their restaurant, I made it at home and have been making it ever since with some new twists of my own variety that make this dish incredibly flavorful and delicious without any extra fat or calories.
Calvin’s Chicken Salad Recipe
- 1 (16 ounces) bag of shredded, cooked chicken [I use Costco’s Rotisserie Chicken]
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise [I use light mayonnaise]
- 3/4 cup sour cream [I use light sour cream]
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl. Then divide the mixture into several small containers and refrigerate.
Calvin’s Chicken Salad Tips:
- Chicken salad can be eaten on a sandwich, with crackers, or on its own. I often just eat it plain with a fork.
- You can substitute any dried fruit you prefer for the raisins, such as dried cranberries. Mix them with the chopped celery, place them in a plastic baggie, and crush them with a rolling pin, meat tenderizer, hammer, or anything else that will help break up the dried fruit.
- Use just about any kind of mayo you prefer, but for best results, I recommend light mayo.
- You can make this recipe ahead of time and keep it in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
What Salad Dressing Goes On Calvin’s Chicken Salad?
There are several types of mayonnaise you can use to prepare this dish. I recommend using light mayo because it doesn’t have any fat other than what is naturally present in the eggs that are used to make the mayo.
How Do You Eat Calvin’s Chicken Salad?
There are several ways to eat this salad, depending on what you prefer. I just like to eat it for breakfasts and lunches or with some crackers for a different flavor.
For the adventurous, you can make this dish into a sandwich by adapting the same recipe and adding an egg or two to the mixture.
Is Chicken Salad Good For You?
Chicken salad is one of the most nutritious and healthy foods you can eat. Chicken salad is chock-full of protein and vitamins in all kinds of forms.
The chicken, celery, raisins, and mayonnaise are comprised of all the vitamins you need, so you can be sure that this dish is as good for your body as it tastes.
Health Benefits Of Chicken Salad
Chicken salad is loaded with vitamins and minerals, especially potassium. This healthy vitamin is necessary for performing a variety of tasks in the body, including keeping your heart healthy, muscle function, and nerve conduction.
Best 5 Health Benefits Of Chicken Salad:
1. Helps Lower Blood Pressure
Chicken salad is a great source of potassium, which can help lower blood pressure levels in your body by keeping the pressure in your veins at normal levels.
It can also help keep your heart healthy because it helps keep sodium levels within the normal range, which helps to maintain cardiovascular health.
2. Helps Prevent Osteoporosis
The chicken salad contains lots of calcium that has been shown to help prevent osteoporosis.
3. Keeps Skin Healthy And Youthful
Chicken salad is packed with vitamins and minerals that can keep your skin healthy and youthful by keeping your body strong.
The dish’s high vitamin content helps keep your skin from showing signs of aging, such as wrinkles, fine lines, and even acne.
4. Helps Keep Your Immune System Healthy
The chicken salad contains lots of zinc and protein, which helps to fight infection and can help prevent sickness. Getting sick can be a major drain on your energy levels and overall well-being, so keeping yourself healthy will help you stay energetic and productive.
5. Helps Maintain Normal Blood Sugar Levels
Chicken salad is an excellent source of protein, which helps to keep your blood sugar stable. It has been found to be especially effective for diabetics who need to keep their sugar levels on an even keel.
How Long Does Calvin’s Chicken Salad Last?
Chicken salad will keep its quality almost indefinitely if it is stored in the refrigerator after preparation. It can last 3-4 days if you put it in a sealed container and freeze it.
The Bottom Line
Calvin’s Chicken Salad is a great dish to make at home because it doesn’t require much preparation time. This recipe can be adapted to fit any dietary needs, and you can add any flavors or ingredients you crave.
If you liked this recipe, please leave your comments below on what you think or if you have any additions to make it better.
- How To Keep Skin Hydrated In Winter: Tips And Tricks For A Glowing Complexion - March 16, 2023
- How To Maintain Healthy And Youthful Skin: Tips, Tricks, And Secrets - March 13, 2023
- Homemade Toners For Radiant Skin: Natural Ways To Boost Your Glow - March 11, 2023