Can a single woman wear a ring on her left hand? The question of whether or not a single woman should wear a ring on the left hand is one that comes up often.
It’s especially important to note that there are two different types of rings – engagement and wedding rings. Although traditionally worn on the right hand, the latter can be worn on either hand, depending on your preference.
The former, however, has always been traditionally placed by men onto women’s left hands when they get engaged. With this in mind, it might seem logical to conclude that wearing an engagement ring would make someone less available for marriage proposals (although you never know!).
However, if you choose to wear your engagement ring on your left hand, it will signify more than just being taken; it will also signify that it is there for everyone to see!
What does it mean when a girl has a ring on her left hand?
We get asked this question all the time. In some countries, it is said to mean that a girl is married. It is considered a sign of engagement or courtship in others, so she won’t appear single and ready to mingle.
It’s also possible that if you receive an engagement ring but do not have any plans for marriage, you might consider wearing it on your right hand, which is said to symbolize that you are not available.
Can A Single Woman Wear A Ring On Her Left Hand?
People who believe that a woman should not wear a ring on her left hand state the following arguments:
- A wedding ring is worn on the right hand, as this is the ‘ring’ finger – whose Latin name means “anulus marital” or ‘marriage finger’ – and signifies the marriage itself, much like a handprint.
- A wedding ring should only be worn on the right hand because it signifies being married or engaged to someone. It is not appropriate for a single person to show off an engagement or wedding ring because it makes them more sexually available.
- When you wear a ring on the left hand, you indicate that you’re available, thus not making yourself less so.
- If you have to ask whether or not wearing a ring on your left hand will make you more or less available, this might be a sign that it’s better not to wear one at all!
People who believe that a woman should wear a ring on her left hand state the following arguments:
- If you’re not married or engaged to someone, wearing an engagement ring on the left hand is appropriate because it symbolizes that you are taken.
- It’s all about what looks best; some might argue that it makes sense to keep it where you feel most comfortable unless there is a specific reason to wear your ring on the right hand.
- There’s no real rule about wearing wedding rings on either hand; some cultures believe that left-hand rings signify adultery, but this is not a common belief among more modern societies that have adopted wedding traditions from other cultures.
- Some people claim that wearing any ring on the left-hand means that you are free and unattached – single, for example – but it is more likely to convey that you are taken and simply wearing a different type of ring.
What might be most important in making your choice about whether or not to wear a wedding ring is choosing what is right for you. If you don’t want to wear your ring on the left hand, that’s totally fine; if you do feel like wearing it there, then go ahead and don’t worry about what anyone else has to say.
What exactly does a ring signify?
Wearing an engagement or wedding ring does not necessarily have to be taken as a sign that someone is taken, married and unavailable. It all depends where in the world you live; traditions vary from one country to the next.
Most engagement and wedding rings are worn on the fourth finger of the left hand, or “ring” finger. This is because it’s known in Latin as annulus marital – meaning “the marriage finger.” It is considered a sign that you have found your perfect match; you are committed to someone and ready to join your lives together.
Where should a single woman wear a ring?
This is really up to you!
It’s no secret that some cultures believe there are certain rules about where to wear a ring; it can be worn on the right hand or on the left hand, but there are other variations too. In the UK, it is believed to symbolize engagement while in Germany and Spain, it is said to signify that someone is married.
“A wedding ring should only be worn on the right hand because it signifies being married or engaged to someone. It is not appropriate for a single person to show off an engagement or wedding ring because it makes them more available.”
When you are wearing a ring on your left hand, some might say that this means you are taken and unavailable, while others may believe that if you have an engagement ring but no plans of marriage, then it would make sense to wear the engagement/wedding band on your right hand as opposed to your left hand.
If all of these seem confusing, there really isn’t any rule about what rings go where; they can be worn on either hand, and it really does not make a difference. It can be worn on either hand, although whichever finger you choose to wear it there is said to give the significance of that particular ring a little extra meaning. In some countries, it signifies engagement, while in others, it is considered a sign of courtship, so she won’t appear single and ready to mingle.