Poke Crab Salad is a simple family recipe that actually tastes great. Making it a must for any summer party.
Poke is a Hawaiian word that means “to chop into small pieces.” Crab salad is made of chopped raw, cooked, and canned crab meat.
Most people forget about the poke part and just make a crab salad without any chopping.
In general, it is made up of mayonnaise (a kind of emulsification), celery seed or celery salt, mustard powder or yellow mustard seeds, sugar, lemon juice or cider vinegar, and salt. A good poke should have enough mayonnaise to bind all seasonings together soundly.
This recipe can be made with various types of crab meat. I’ve tried with both lump and dressed crab meat. The more, the better this salad would taste.
Table of Contents
Let’s Start With What Is Poke Crab Salad Made Of?
Poke Crab Salad can be made in many different ways, but this recipe uses cooked crab meat and mayo to give the perfect juicy texture.
However, you could substitute cooked shrimp or chicken to make it more your personal preference.
How To Make Poke Crab Salad?
This recipe is very easy to make, even for the most novice of cooks. You can follow the instructions on how to make poke crab salad here.
- Crabmeat: About 3/4 pound (280-340g); the amount depends on the size of your crab; stir before each ingredient to ensure there are no lumps.
- Mayo: 1/4 cup (50ml)
- Soy Sauce: 1 teaspoon (5ml)
- White Vinegar: 2 teaspoons (10ml)
- Brown Sugar: 1 teaspoon (5ml)
Combine all ingredients in a bowl so that it is easy to transfer. Stir well until everything is mixed. You can either use toothpicks or a fork to stir, do not use both; one of them should be enough. Let it sit for about 30 minutes before serving.
Serve as a side dish with other nutritious dishes. For example, this recipe pairs well with Pork or Chicken Chow Mein. This is also perfect for serving at parties and gatherings.
- You can put the crab meat inside a plastic bag and use a rolling pin to break it into small pieces.
- You can try adding thinly sliced onion or a bit of mayo to taste the dish more.
- Crab salads are great and ideal for kids; they love the taste and the textures.
- This recipe pairs very well with flour-fried wontons and lettuce wraps. They both go very well together, so you should try them out!
- For your main dish, you can serve fish fillet or chicken chow mein. This dish is also good to serve with rice noodles or lo mein noodles.
- You can use any ingredients you like, regardless of whether they are listed here.
- This dish works well as a case meal because it is easy to make and ideal for serving at a party or gathering.
- If you want to keep the salad fresh for longer, put it in small containers or Tupperware and cover it with plastic wrap.
Poke Crab Salad Dressing
To make the sauce for your poke crab salad, you will need:
- Mayonnaise: 1/4 cup (50ml)
- Soy Sauce: 1 teaspoon (5ml)
Preparation Method: Transfer all the ingredients into a bowl, and stir until everything is well combined.
What Is A Good Side For Poke Crab Salad?
This dish is ideal for serving with other side dishes, such as:
- Stir fry vegetables
- Rice noodle/noodle
- Spring roll/ dumpling
- Fried wonton/chow mein/chicken chow mein.
Poke Crab Salad Nutrition
This dish is very healthy, not just because of its taste but also its nutritional value. It is a good source of protein and contains both Vitamin C and A.
It also has Omega 3 fatty acids, which provide healthy fats, and can help aid weight loss but still leaves you feeling full.
Is Poke Crab Salad Healthy?
This dish is great for a balanced diet as it has both complex carbohydrates and proteins. Crabs are a good source of omega fats for a healthy heart and are rich in protein.
How Long Does Poke Crab Salad Last?
This dish has a long shelf life. You can keep it for up to 2-3 weeks, if you like, in the fridge after opening it. If you have any leftovers, you can cover the container and store them in the freezer until needed.
How To Freeze Poke Crab Salad?
This dish is perfect for freezing and thawing whenever needed. You can either put it into a freezer bag and freeze it or into individual containers with plastic wrap on top.
Once frozen, transfer them into a freezer bag with a vacuum sealer to prevent any air.
The Bottom Line
In the end, poke crab salad is a simple dish that can be served with other dishes or as a side dish. It is also very easy to make, and you do not need much time to do so.
This makes this recipe a great choice for your next summer party or gathering since it is really easy to make and cook.