Sonny’s BBQ Salad is a delicious BBQ salad featuring grilled chicken, BBQ sauce, lettuce, and tomatoes.
It can be served on its own or as an accompaniment to a BBQ meal. It’s also gluten-free, as it doesn’t contain any wheat, rye, barley, or oats.
Sonny’s BBQ Salad was created in Tampa, FL, and was first launched in 2012. It is made by a QSR named Sonny’s Backyard Barbeque.
Sonny Moore and his wife conceived the concept for the salad. They wanted fresh ingredients, but not pre-packaged ones, and they also wanted to make a dish that would be great for picnics.
Now it has become one of the most popular salad items offered at many QSR chains across America.
Table of Contents
What Is In Sonny’s BBQ Salad?
Sonny’s delicious BBQ salad is prepared with grilled chicken, BBQ sauce, lettuce, and tomatoes.
Is Sonny’s BBQ Only In Florida?
Sonny’s delicious BBQ salad has been around for over 30 years and is not limited to just Florida. It is available in many Florida restaurants and markets.
Sonny’s BBQ Salad Recipe
- 1 head of shredded lettuce
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 1 chopped cucumber
- 1 sliced onion
- 5oz. barbeque chicken breast fillet (grilled and cut into cubes)
- 1 cup of your favorite Sonny’s BBQ sauce (you can buy this in the market)
- Make a bed of lettuce onto a plate and top with tomato, cucumber, and onions. The order of these ingredients is unimportant but make sure all are present in the salad. (In some restaurants, they may add these ingredients after they make the BBQ sauce; this is okay as well).
- Top with BBQ chicken fillet cubes, pour some BBQ sauce over it, and serve.
- If you want to make the salad healthier, use low-calorie mayonnaise instead of regular mayonnaise. You can still get that creamy texture by adding a tiny bit of regular mayonnaise or oil to the salad dressing.
- Some people add canned pineapple to their BBQ salad; if you choose to do this, make sure it is drained thoroughly before placing it in the salad. You want a good taste of pineapple without having too much juice from the pineapple in your BBQ salad. Just a hint of pineapple juice goes well with the other ingredients and really enhances the taste of your salad.
- You can also add a bit of ranch dressing to create your own unique salad dressing.
- If you want to make it spicy, add sliced jalapeno peppers or cayenne pepper instead of BBQ sauce into the salad.
- Some people like to add vinegar to their BBQ salad; if you do this, go easy on it or add lemon juice instead, as vinegar can be overpowering in a salad.
- If you want to add macaroni to your BBQ salad, it is best to mix your salad first before adding the macaroni. Add a little bit of water first, then add macaroni. Add some more water, and add more macaroni until you get a consistent texture and flavor throughout the whole dish.
What Salad Dressing Goes On Sonny’s BBQ Salad?
People use regular salad dressing on BBQ salad. You can add vinegar or lemon juice for a tangy taste or ranch dressing for a creamy taste as well.
What Is A Good Side For Sonny’s BBQ Salad?
You can have your delicious barbeque salad with the bread of your choice if you are still hungry after having your barbeque.
Sonny’s BBQ Salad Nutrition Facts:
Nutrition Information Per Serving: Serving Size 1/4 (1.5 oz.)
Amount per Serving:
|Total Fat||12.8 g|
|Saturated Fat||3.2 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.2 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||4.3 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||1.9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0.6 g|
Health Benefits Of Sonny’s BBQ Salad:
Sonny’s BBQ salad is packed with vitamins and minerals. It has a lot of protein and fiber, so Sonny’s BBQ salad is considered healthy to eat.
The fiber content in the salad helps ease constipation, while the protein content in the salad can help increase your metabolism.
The deficiency of potassium (found in tomatoes) can cause muscle cramps, weakness, and fatigue, while The Vitamin A contained in tomatoes can also help you see better by helping to maintain healthy eyes as well as protecting your skin from sun damage. This can be very useful, especially on sunny days when you are working out or running on the beach.
How Long Does Sonny’s BBQ Salad Last?
Sonny’s BBQ Salad will last for about 2 days when properly stored in the refrigerator.
How To Freeze Sonny’s BBQ Salad?
You can freeze your salad for up to 6 months. Thaw the salad in the refrigerator before serving it.
The Bottom Line
Sonny’s BBQ Salad (and its interesting history) is a very delicious BBQ salad that can be a healthy meal as well as a great side dish at your next barbecue party, especially when you are on a diet.